More than 170 years ago, a two-story log house was built on what is now the northwest corner of 96th Street and Allisonville Road. Fashioned by Thomas West's descendants, this home near the White River became part of the 200+ acre farm owned by Addison and India Harris at the turn of the century.
A prominent Indianapolis attorney, Mr. Harris served as U.S. Ambassador to Austria-Hungary from 1899-1901.
For use as their summer residence, the couple enlarged the home and added stone columns and the adjacent outbuilding.
A collaborative effort between the Fishers Town Council and members of the Fishers Historic Preservation Committee saved this important part of our Town's heritage, which was scheduled to be destroyed.
To view pictures of the Ambassador House before it was moved, please click here.
On November 19, 1996, the Ambassador House was carefully cut into two sections and moved to its current location in Heritage Park (106th Street and Eller Road).
To view a series of articles about the move, please click here.